Friday, August 20, 2010

Ad Hoc At Home

This library is going to make a cook out of me yet! This new addition to the library is a cookbook/mentoring guide by Thomas Keller, acclaimed American chef and owner of California's Ad Hoc restaurant.

There are a handful of reasons I love this cookbook.
1. PHOTOS! There is nothing so dull as a cookbook that has no photos. The words themselves can be inspiring, but as most professional chefs know, we taste first with our eyes.
2. Keller himself. Yes, he's an amazing gourmet chef, but he's also very down to earth and hilarious
3. He doesn't make me feel dumb. This book is meant for home cooking, not for a fancy restaurant. Yes, the food is amazing, but it doesn't require me to own tons of obscure cookware or know a bunch of odd techniques. If anything, he's taught me a few cooking tips and I'm excited to try them out.

The only downfall to this book is the sense of jealousy I have when I remember that this isn't California and I can't just go buy monkfish, and I don't have a local cheesemonger.

All in all, I will be consulting this book again. I give it a proud 4

No comments:

Post a Comment