Sunday, December 4, 2011

Adrift: Seventy-Six Days Lost at Sea



I'm back! Got married to this Tyler fellow in August and I guess life happens. Not that I have to apologize to the internet or anything. ;)

So I started back up with a first-hand account of a solo boating excursion gone wrong. I don't know why I enjoy sea stories so much. I guess it's just the version of romanticism that speaks to me. So, all in all, this book has good things going for it.

1. It's a true story. I guess I should lump in the fact that it's written by the one who experienced it, but I'm not too naive to guess that he probably had a ghost writer anyway. These things happen. If this were a work of fiction, it would be a bit boring. Seventy-six days is a long time, and if you're alone at sea, there's only so much variety a day can hold. The biggest downside to this particular book is that the reader has to experience some of the monotony of day to day details. Again, since it's a true story, I stomach the boredom because it's a far cry from the agony of the one who actually lived through it.

2. It's informative. I know for a fact that I will never be in the author's situation, but I still feel I learned something about how to survive at sea. How to prepare fresh fish, distill sea water, keep a raft afloat, etc.

3. It's dangerous. The fact that the ending is spoiled before you read the book, doesn't deter from the excitement in reading about various near-death experiences along the way.

I'd recommend this book to someone interested in sea-faring stuff.

Rating - 3

No comments:

Post a Comment