Friday, July 13, 2012

Adventures From the Technology Underground by William Gurstelle

This book has a great tagline: Catapults, Pulsejets, Rail Guns, Flamethrowers, Tesla Coils, Air Cannons, and the Garage Warriors Who Love Them. If you're a budding tech geek, this book may be for you. Gurstelle begins his book by setting some solid definitions around the phrase "technology underground." They are as follows:
1. Projects are founded upon physical sciences.
2. Those creating the projects maintain amateur standing.
3. The projects are always edgy and often dangerous.
4. High energy
5. The projects are social endeavors, and as such, elicit certain recognition.

I'm not a science-y person. I enjoy watching Punkin Chunkin competitions, and as much as I would love to have my own trebuchet, I have no desire to build it myself. For readers like myself, Gurstelle's writing style is clever and comedic. For those who do want the design details, they are provided in separate sections of each chapter.

I feel like this book would be best suited for a budding science nerd in the late teenage years. Someone with a beginners grasp of physics and room to experiment with different ways to express oneself. Definitely not intended for the masses or else it would require a different title.

Rating - 3

No comments:

Post a Comment