Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Abstinence Teacher

Deeeeeep breath. First off, this book by Tom Perrotta is a novel, not an instruction book on how to teach abstinence. I read the 150+ pages in one day, but was nervous the whole time. I couldn't relate to any of the characters and they all made me uncomfortable. For those of you who don't know me, I AM an abstinence educator of sorts, so I was biting my lips the whole time I read it.

By the end of the book, nothing is resolved. Despite the sex, drugs, and alcohol, it seems like the author was attempting not to offend God. The comments on the back of the book call Perrotta brave, but it merely seemed he was trying not to make waves with anyone who might read the book. In the end, there was no resolution and everyone just sorta went on with their lives.

I have to give this a 2 because at least it kept my interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment