Tuesday, April 20, 2010

An Accidental Cowboy

An Accidental Cowboy by Jameson Parker is *gasp* a memoir. With snapshots and anecdotes, Parker details the circumstances in his life which transformed him from Hollywood actor, to PTSD sufferer, to cowboy.

Unlike most memoirs, there is nothing saccharine or disingenuous in the way he describes his own experiences. He is open and honest about his trials, but doesn't glorify them above himself. He is witty, charming, adventurous. I'm not sure if "actor" mixed with "cowboy" is an automatic recipe for a balanced person, but it nearly works for Parker. Minus the overwhelming suicidal tendencies.

This book is a casual read. Although the life of cowboys is far beyond my grasp of understanding (I don't even watch Westerns), I appreciate the knowledge I picked up and would recommend this book to anyone.

3

No comments:

Post a Comment