Sunday, March 4, 2012

Advanced Bread and Pastry conclusion


I wonder how much of all this I'll remember. What a huge book! In case anyone suspects that this is a recipe book, they are mistaken. There are, however, many "formulas" for breads and pastries. I love carbohydrates, but after reading this book, I'm becoming gradually convinced that humans aren't meant to eat bread. The percentage of actual nutrition is rather small.
But that didn't stop me from lusting after the many photos of grandiose concoctions. My only negative comment is that the author veers too far from the bread and pastry topic and spends a considerable chunk of the end talking about things like syrups and sugar molds and *sigh* chocolate. Lovely topics on their own, but he could have spared me a few hundred pages and a few pounds to boot.
If you're considering a career in baking, this book is a must read. If you're a casual home cook, I'd recommend a simple cook book instead and leave the chemistry to the professionals.
Rating - 3

No comments:

Post a Comment