Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Adventure of Archaeology

When I was little, I wanted to be an archaeologist. It's not the only aspiration I had. I also wanted to be a concert pianist and astronaut. But Indiana Jones inspired me, and for a while I wanted to follow in his footsteps..in a less scary way. Now the subject kind of bores me.

The Adventure of Archaeology by Brian M. Fagan is a huge book about the whole history of archaeology and where it stands today. Yes, there are plenty of photos to keep the reader entertained on the way. And I finally learned how the Parthenon was ruined and how Agatha Christie is connected to the world of archaeology.

I do wonder if archaeology is declining now that so much has already been discovered. Will it be like forensics and decline in popularity once all the available jobs have been taken? I know there are still plenty of dig sites in Israel and underwater archaeology is still going strong.

All in all, I had a hard time finishing the book because it just didn't hold my attention very well. Yes, I realize that archaeology is not all glamour and excitement like film would try to portray, but I was still disappointed.

Rating - 1

No comments:

Post a Comment