Saturday, June 23, 2012

Adventures Among Ants by Mark W. Moffett

I'm currently writing while on a sugar low, so I apologize if this blog post is less exciting than I intend. I loved this book.

 Mark Moffett is great. His bug love and intelligence is equally matched by his amazing photo skills and great story telling. I will even forgive his use of split infinitives and constant changes between past and present tense. I can see why this book may be bore and intimidate a few people. It is rather long and..well..it's about ants, but once you get into it it's quite engaging. I was so interested in the marauder ant by the end of the first section, that I was a little disappointed when he moved on to talk about army ants...at first.

The more I read, the more I realized just how amazing ants are. What can I say? I'm a sucker for a good book. Did you know that weaver ants secure their tree-top nests by squeezing silk threads out of their own larvae and literally "weave" it back and forth? How bout that some ant species not only keep "cattle" like aphids, but some make slaves by raiding other colonies and raising foreign ant species as their own to do all the labor and pampering?

 Read the book. I don't care if insects gross you out. It's good stuff.

Rating - 4

No comments:

Post a Comment