Thursday, February 4, 2010

Calling all foragers!

I'm buying this one! Abundantly Wild: Collecting and Cooking Wild Edibles in the Upper Midwest by Teresa Marrone is a keeper. When I was growing up, my favorite thing to do was exploring our backyard or spending time in the woods. Now that I'm older and more sensible, maybe I can do it with a bit more purpose.

This book has lists of all sorts of edible plants that grow in my area, including how to harvest and prepare them. I learned a few things like the fact that black morels can cause lack of muscular coordination in some people and that the best time to find morels is when the nights are above 40, the days are in the 60's and the lilacs are in full bloom. It also dawned on me that the word "scrub" is simply a combination of "scrape" and "rub".

This book has so many typos, it's hilarious, but I simply must have it. It earns a 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment