Monday, August 10, 2009

The Foot-Dragging Liberator

Some of the sayings of Lincoln...

"I hope it will not be irreverent for me to say that if it is probable that God would reveal his will to others, on a point so connected with my duty, it might be supposed he would reveal it directly to me; for...it is my earnest desire to know the will of Providence in this matter. And if I can learn what it is I will do it."
- in response to people claiming to know the divine will of God for him

"With malice toward none; with charity for all; with firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right; let us strive on to finish the work we are in; to bind up the nation's wounds; to care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan--to do all which will achieve and cherish a just, and a lasting peace, among ourselves, and with all nations."
- from his second inaugural address

"Men are not flattered by being shown that there is a difference of purpose between the Almighty and them. To deny it, however, in this case, is to deny that there is a God governing the world."
- Lincoln's attempt to convey that perhaps neither North nor South was wholly in the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment