Monday, August 31, 2009

Intro to Abenaki

I get to read up on a topic on which I am yet again totally ignorant. As a European American descendant, the concept of Native America has either seems totally irrelevant to my life or has merely been romanticized in its various ways. I can already tell that one’s generic worldview has a great impact on how we view Native Americans, or as this book will call them, American Indians. Hey. It was written in 1989. Before we learn anything about this particular tribe, we are first forced to consider the question: How did they arrive on the New World? Have they always been here? If we hold to Judeo-Christian beliefs, they must have some connection to Noah, but where?

The expanding white society certainly held to the view that they were a dying race anyway and it was only a matter of time before they dwindled out. Hardly the case. Even to this day of intermarrying, the Native American identity is so closely cherished and maintained that the heads of tribes can even have authority over whether a Native American woman may let her child be adopted. One instance where a woman may not have the choice.

This book is the first in a series of 53 books by Colin Calloway about the conflict and survival of North American Indians. It is just over 100 pages, so my time with it will be brief, but I’m finding myself already wanting to read ahead of myself.


----------------
Now playing: FFH/Nichole Nordeman - Shine Your Light
via FoxyTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment