Sunday, August 23, 2009

Pretty confident, are we?

Well after discussing the rather boring aspects of 12th century France, the book has gotten more interesting again. Let's just say I know a lot more about castration methods now. Moving on...

Abelard is a total $%@#! Here's what he wrote in his autobiography about Heloise.

I considered all the usual attractions for a lover and decided she was the one to bring to my bed, confident that I should have an easy success; for at the time I had youth and exceptional good looks as well as my great reputation to recommend me, and feared no rebuff from any woman I might choose to honor with my love.

Burge puts it well when he comments.

It is talk from the fictional lads' world in which all women are up for it and all men are completely irresistible, especially after a few drinks.

Nice try Abelard. Nice try.

No comments:

Post a Comment