Sunday, November 29, 2009

Mere Christianity

Alright, so this will be my first short post. If you haven't noticed, I am a little long-winded, so feel free to skim my postings for the main topics.

The first book I jumped into was Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis. This book only took me a few hours of reading, but mostly because I didn't finish it. I got about half-way through and was completely bored.

Here is the problem, as a Christian it is difficult to have somebody try and convince me of how wonderful it is to be a Christian. It is like having somebody try and convince you that it is important to wear clothing in public. I am aware of the need for clothing and why I should wear it, so stop telling me what I already know. This is different than taking an apologetics class because it is not written to teach other Christians. The book is written for seekers and those Christians who may be having a crisis in faith. I own the book now and I think it will be useful if I ever have a crisis in faith myself. However, until that point it is just difficult to push myself through the book

I think the book is well written and Lewis is brilliant and witty. It is a must read for those unsure of what they are looking for in faith or why Christians are such an odd lot. I highly recommend it to those individuals. I also highly recommend that Christians all own a copy to loan to people to whom they are witnessing. This book is a great resource and gives the basics of the faith. The seeker can read the book and gain an understanding of Christianity and the book will leave them with many questions that they will need to seek out Christians to answer.

1 comment:

  1. I loved Mere Christianity, but then, I'm always on the lookout for source material to deal with the objections of skeptics. This is an area in which Lewis was an absolute master. Having said that, I can understand the "I don't need to be persuaded" point of view.

    ReplyDelete