Sunday, November 29, 2009

Points and Clarifications

So, I believe it was Mark Twain that said, "The classics are books that everybody wants to have read, but nobody wants to read." The truth to that is the reason that my list is not made up entirely of classical literature but also of good books that deserve to be noted, books of historical significance, and books that just simply look interesting. Terry Pratchett's books are a great example of this as his books are well written and incredibly entertaining. He was knighted for contributions to literature and is a standard for study in secondary schools and universities in the U.K. and thus deserves a spot on the list. Furthermore, there are books that are not on the list for that very reason. The best example is The Grapes of Wrath. I was subjected to having to read this for an English class in high school and just couldn't get through it. If a book is going to be painful for me, I don't see that there is much point in reading it. Reading should be fun and not any more of a chore than absolutely necessary.

You may notice that my Lifetime Reading List is on the page. I must make a clarification about my rules that I stated earlier regarding the books on this list. You are more than welcome to make any comments about these books that you like. You may give all the reasons in the world as to why you do not feel they deserve to be on the list. If you make a good enough case I might take your suggestions under advisement. However, simply not liking a book will not get it off the list and scolding me for putting any book on there isn't going to gain you any brownie points. Scholarly discussion is more than welcome. I only close the door to additions to the list because this list is going to take me long enough. And now.................. on with the reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment