Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Accidental Masterpiece: The Art of Life and Vice Versa

After my last attempt at reading a book about art, I was a bit hesitant to open this one by Michael Kimmelman. Although Kimmelman is an art critic, he seems to be able to speak to the art novice quite easily. No translation necessary.

The book takes a look at art from a different perspective: life. What motivates us? Why do we collect things? Why do we become more creative in times of great struggle and tragedy? I didn't feel like less of a person if I didn't know the artists he was talking about, because I learned about them through the book, and it wasn't all about what significant pieces they created. It was about their drive and passion, their struggles with the world around them, and most of all, Kimmelman found a way to connect each of us to these artists by revealing the similarities in all of us.

I can highly recommend it. 3

No comments:

Post a Comment