Sunday, June 20, 2010

Accidentally On Purpose

Well this was different than I thought it'd be. Accidentally On Purpose by Mary F. Pols sums itself up in the tag line: A one-night stand, my unplanned parenthood, and loving the best mistake I ever made.

As one might guess, this isn't a novel but rather a true story. It is told in story format and is very engaging. Mary is nothing like me and her life is nothing like mine, but she kept me interested the whole way through. Well, most of the way through. She's a Bay Area journalist. 'Nuff said. Near the end of the book, her story takes a completely different turn as she talks about grieving the loss of her father. Suddenly the book about her son, starts feeling like *cough* memoirs and I lost interest for a couple chapters till she brought it back around to the parts I cared about. No offense, but her relationship with her dad was not the part of her life that I was interested in.

The book is unnecessarily vulgar at times, but still well written. I feel like I've walked away from this book unchanged and indifferent, however. I may have approached it with my hopes too high, but it has earned a 2 on my scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment