Sunday, June 20, 2010

Accidental Vegan

Another cookbook already! I'm thankful that this one was so short. I'm still cooking my way through the last one.

Sometimes it's good to read the introduction to a book. Devra Gartenstein immediately won me over by letting me know that she isn't vegan. Whew. Maybe I COULD read this book. Most of the first recipes sounded delicious because they were appetizers, and most of them didn't require any modification to make them vegan. Who doesn't like hummus or egg rolls?! Ok, some of you don't, but you're weird.

It all went downhill for me in the middle, when she'd moved on to main courses and they all seemed to have tofu or seitan as meat substitutes. I have nothing against tofu and I've never tried seitan, but these types of foods always seem to sound worse than they actually taste. If I were turning vegan, this book would come in very handy because most of the recipes seem quite simple to make.

In the meantime, I'll just keep eating what I'm eating. Cookbooks are hard to rate, but I'll give this one a 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment