Thursday, September 30, 2010

Adams vs. Jefferson pt. 1

Politics, politics. Again, the more I read the more I learn. Simple, I know. Anyway, now I'm reading this book by John Ferling about the election of 1800. It's part of a series of books called Pivotal Moments In American History.

I'm glad I already read the biography of Abigail Adams, because it gives me a bit of an advantage with which to tackle the onslaught of names and events in this book. It kinda makes me proud that I actually retained some of the information. Most of the book so far has given background info on the people and politics involved in the early formation of the US government. How were we to handle the relationship between Britain and France? Should our government be modeled after Britain's or was that just too sore a subject? Slaves or no slaves?

Adams and Jefferson had thought they were inseparable friends, but their differing opinions on the French revolution and the lifestyles they led tore them apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment