Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Adlai Stevenson


What a great day to stay inside and read! And what a book I have! 500+ pages of biography about none other than Adlai Stevenson, as written by his friend Porter McKeever. Biographical books are some of my least favorite because they tend to read like a chronological chart. Birth-schooling-marriage-children-career-more career-still more career-death. My motivation to read alphabetically, does help me stay on track, though and this is turning out to be an ok book.

So far, I've only made it through a hundred pages, but Adlai is well into his political career already. Having made it as a journalist and a lawyer, his attentions are now fully turned toward politics. He's served in the forming of the U.N., ran for governor of Illinois (although he really preferred to be a senator). Most importantly, he really seems to be the kind of guy even his enemies can trust to be fair.

And hopefully, I'll learn more U.S. history by osmosis!!

----------------
Now playing: The Tallis Scholars - Miss Papae Marcelli: Sanctus & Benediction
via FoxyTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment