Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Admiral Richard Byrd: Alone In the Antarctic


Books praising historical figures generally make me skeptical, especially when it’s a situation like this where a whole team of people are put in a hazardous situation, and it just so happens that the team leader is THE one who was brave and wise and got everyone (who survived) through.

I’m even more skeptical since I’m reading this right after The Admirable Crichton, where upon coming back to England, the official reports are doctored to make it look like the noblemen were great and everyone else was inconsequential.

I have nothing against Admiral Byrd. I just felt the need to admit my bias. The book didn't really get interesting until the last 60 pages, where Paul Rink describes Byrd's spending 5 month in solitary and attempting to survive. The rest of the book is poorly written.

Rating - 1

No comments:

Post a Comment