Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Admission conclusion



I'm having a difficult time knowing how to rate this book. One the one hand, I really enjoyed the plot and the suspense kept me engaged the whole time. But, this is supposed to be a Christian book, and the only parts that discuss God seemed really banal and out of place.

Each chapter swaps between Jake's college days and the present. In both time lines, Thrasher only gives away enough information for the reader to be hungry for more. He does this through the convenient mechanism of character drunkenness. If Jake doesn't remember anything, and he's the narrator, how are we to know until he finds out himself. I'm actually kind of surprised Moody published this. There's a lot of sex, violence, and drinking...in no particular order.

I would definitely recommend this book. It has its weaknesses, but it's a quick entertaining read, and sometimes that's all we need.

Rating - 3

----------------
Now playing: The King And I (New Broadway Cast) - Something Wonderful
via FoxyTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment