Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Adaptations conclusion

"This must be heaven," he says. "No. It's Iowa," I reply automatically. Call me sentimental, but that line gets me every time. "Shoeless Joe Jackson Comes To Iowa" by W. P. Kinsella is a MUCH better story than its film counterpart Field of Dreams. I don't know if it's my dislike for Kevin Costner or what. Yes, I've gone and stood on the field where it was filmed and did the touristy thing (There were people there who'd traveled from Scotland to see it), but the film wasn't important to me as an Iowan.

I felt pretty proud of myself for having previously read ONE of the stories in this book. That's "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?" by Joyce Carol Oates. Creepy, creepy characters, though I was unaware it had been adapted for film.

All in all, Harrison gave good exposure to some often unacknowledged authors, and that's always a good thing. I recommend this book to anyone who knows how to read.

4

No comments:

Post a Comment