Saturday, October 9, 2010

Adaptations pt. 2

I apologize for how ridiculously tired I am. It's been a long, fun, sun-burny day. That said, I expanded my exposure to short stories again today. I started with Sci-Fi classics, "The Sentinel" by Arthur C. Clarke, "Supertoys Last All Summer Long" by Brian Aldiss, and "The Minority Report" by Philip K. Dick. It's obvious which movie the last story inspired. "The Sentinel" led to 2001: A Space Odyssey, and "Supertoys" inspired A.I. Artificial Intelligence. I'm already a fan of sci-fi, so these weren't difficult to enjoy.

The next genre that Harrison tackles is horror. Not my favorite. These aren't quite the slasher films we're used to today, but are rather more subtle. "Spurs" by Tod Robbins is about circus characters, and led to the film Freaks, directed by Tod Browning. A coincidence with the names? Not sure. Next was "The Fly" by George Langelaan, which was put to film in both 1958 and 1986. It has officially garnered the description "classic". Last, was "Herbert West - Reanimator: Six Shots by Moonlight" by H.P. Lovecraft. The title is a mouthful, but the story is short and simple and inspired Stuart Gordon to adapt it for film as Re-Animator in 1985. I'm wondering if Stuart is any relation to the Bert I. Gordon that frequently victimized the Joel and the bots in MST3K.

No comments:

Post a Comment