Thursday, October 14, 2010

Ada's House book 1

When I start reading a novel about the Amish, I just assume there's going to be an element of romance in it. Cuz nothing says romance like straw hats and lack of electricity. Seriously though, why aren't there Amish novels aimed at a male audience?

The Ada's House novels are written by Cindy Woodsmall. Like most Amish novels the plot seems to revolve around miscommunication and quick judgements. In the first book The Hope of Refuge, Cara is forced to flee New York City and seek help among her mother's Amish family. Knowing nothing about her own history, she must rely on the help of those who have already condemned her as a thief and a drunkard.

The story follows a typical progression of most Christian novels, but within that there are surprise twists and turns that leave the reader interested in finding resolution. Unfortunately, the resolution was a bit disappointing for me, but I'm sure there are many who would disagree. The second book in this series was just released, and I'll be reading it next. The third and final book won't be out until next fall. I'd recommend it to others. My mom is reading it now.

3

No comments:

Post a Comment