Friday, September 25, 2009

About Alice

I recommend this book for anyone who has been in love or wished to be in love. It is short, it is charming, and best of all, it is true. Calvin Trillin is (or was in 2006) a writer for The New Yorker. His wife Alice was an inspiration for most, if not all of his writings. This is her biography.

I only have one regret regarding this book, and that is that I came at it from a purely fresh perspective and not as a person who already has seen how her husband portrayed her in his other writings. There’s a familiarity in the writing style that made me feel I was part of the “in crowd” without having earned it. As a result I feel like I only just met her…and now she’s gone.

This book is a strong 3.

----------------
Now playing: Choralschola der Wiener Hofburgkapelle - Gradual: Viderunt omnes
via FoxyTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment