Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Burkina Faso - Greyhounds

I can already tell this would make a much better tv show that it does a book. At least I have the luxury of photos. :-P

I have to admit, greyhounds are NOT my favorites. I like big dogs, but I've always thought they are kinda ugly. They still have really adorable puppies though.

Despite being a Muslim nation, the nomads and sedentary cattlemen (Tuareg) consider greyhouds as companions and status symbols instead of filthy impure animals. The harsh nature of their environment caused the Tuareg to only keep the strongest of the puppies for hunting purposes. Most females, all black puppies, and any surplus would have to die. This type of breeding process is responsible for the modern greyhound’s agility and strength.
Hunting, the original purpose for breeding greyhounds, has become difficult or illegal for the Tuareg. Now the dogs are assigned the duty of guarding the herds of cattle.


----------------
Now playing: Farhat Bouallagui/Sting - Desert Rose
via FoxyTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment