Monday, December 28, 2009

Absalom, Absalom

I feel like I've just forced myself to eat a whole head of raw cabbage on the statement that it's "good for me." William Faulkner is something else. First of all, I got to deal with the n-word constantly. Given the time, this is understandable. But that's not what made this book painful to read. There is no variety in characters. Sure, they all have various backgrounds, but their style of speech is unbelievably all the same: stream of consciousness. No one talks like this. At least not more than one character per book. After chapter two, I was able to catch a certain flow, but it was still nearly impossible to care about the story line.

To demonstrate the long-windedness of everyone involved, consider this. The book is 303 pages. There are, however, only 299 paragraphs.

Sadly, this only merits a 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment