Saturday, December 5, 2009

Welcome to the 100th post!!

So it's not that exciting, I know. But if you can't tell, I'm a person that likes landmarks such as a hundredth post or finishing the "abo.." section of the library.

Above Us Only Sky by Marion Winik makes for an odd landmark, but fate doesn't always smile. This book is formatted rather nicely for the casual reader. Much like About This Life, it is split into easy to chew pieces and are organized as brief essays on Winik's life. It's another way to do memoirs without saying "memoirs".

But wait! Another book from the Iowa City Public Library written by a Marxist feminist? What a surprise. Yes, I was put off by the title when I was in the library, but yet again I thought I'd give it a try. Sadly, the longest essay by far is the one entitled "Above Us Only Sky" in which she describes all her post-modern views on bisexuality, Lennon's murder, etc. laced with vulgarities of every kind.

This book got a 1...but only barely.

No comments:

Post a Comment