Sunday, December 13, 2009

The swamp that is Dickens

So, I have now started into my very fist Dickens novel which is David Copperfield. From the very first chapter the book is wonderful. The characters are interesting and often hilarious and the story is witty and engrossing.

On the other hand, me being a somewhat slow reader and a busy individual means that you, the huddled masses (I use the word masses generously) that read my postings on this blog may have a long while to wait for my conclusion of the book. Dickens is an exceptional writer, but is also a Victorian era novelist. This means that his books are long and smothered in fine detail. For the first time I am not bored by this kind of detail as I was in high school when reading the abomination that is Grapes of Wrath that my sadistic English teacher assigned. Instead I find myself drawn in to the life that young David is leading at his boarding school and the lives and personalities of his other characters.

I am only about 150 pages into this 845 page behemoth but I can tell, even as long as it is going to take me, I am really going to enjoy Dickens. Perhaps next, however, I will push into something a little lighter like..................... basically everything else on the list excepting Tolstoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment